Circulation is a library term that refers to checking books out and renewing and returning items borrowed from the library. This page gives general information about circulation at the Idaho Falls Public Library. This information is governed by the library’s circulation policy.
Borrowing Time Frames
Most items at the library can be borrowed for 3 weeks. Exceptions include:
- DVDs and Blu-rays: 1 week
- Quick Reads: 1 week*
- New Fiction: 2 weeks
- Book Club Sets: 6 weeks*
*One-time checkout; cannot be renewed
For information on borrowing limits, visit our library cards page.
Patrons may renew most library loans up to 3 times after the original checkout. Quick Read books, book club sets, and items with hold requests cannot be renewed. Expired library cards may also prevent renewals (get help with an expired card).
To renew your library items:
- Call our automated renewal number: 208-612-8198
- Log into your online account: idfalls.ent.sirsi.net
- Visit any staff desk at the library
Please note: The Idaho Falls Public Library doesn’t charge fines for overdue items, but patrons cannot check out new items if they have anything overdue.
To return your library loans, use one of our book returns:
- Inside book return on the first floor
- Inside book bin on the second floor
- Drive-through book return on the east side of the library*
- Outside book return by the north doors (facing Broadway)*
- Inside book return at the end of the staff desk
- Outside book return by the library entrance*
- Return books to the staff desk
- Outside book return across from the library entrance*
*Available after hours