This page outlines circulation rules at the Idaho Falls Public Library. The information on this page is governed by our circulation policy.
- Registration and Library Cards
- Borrowing Limits
- Borrowing Periods
- Hold Requests
- Item Renewals
- Item Returns
- Who can access the Libby App and LinkedIn Learning?
- Information about library cards
Registration and Library Cards
Parents/Legal guardians are legally responsible for all Library materials borrowed on their dependent’s card(s). Parents/legal guardians are responsible to supervise and monitor their child/children’s use of the Library and Library materials.
A parent or legal guardian now selects either a restricted or unrestricted Library card to be issued to a child registering for a Library card.
- Unrestricted Card: An unrestricted card allows a child access to everything in the Library, except for adult graphic novels, Blu-Ray and DVD movies.
- Restricted Card: A restricted card allows a child to check out materials ONLY from the children’s Library collection located on the first floor of the Library.
- Note: Adult graphic novels and DVD/Blu-Ray movies may only be checked out by Library cardholders who are over eighteen (18) years of age and only using the library card issued to them.
Library cardholders who loan their cards to others may be subject to a suspension, restriction, or loss of their borrowing privileges.
Tax supported, fee supported, and military membership holders may check out a total of 50 physical items at a time (the limit on DVD and Blu-ray items is 10). They may also check out 3 digital items at any given time through the Libby app.
Tax supported memberships and the associated Library cards immediately expire when a City resident moves outside City limits.
Temporary borrowers may only check out 2 physical items at a time plus the 3 digital items through the Libby app.
Visit our library card page to learn more about these membership types.
Most items at the library will check out for 3 weeks.
- DVDs and Blu-rays: 1 week
- Quick Reads: 1 week*
- Early Learning Bags: 1 week*
- New Fiction: 2 weeks
- Interlibrary Loans: 2 weeks
- OverDrive: Up to 3 weeks
- Book Club Sets: 6 weeks*
*One-time checkout that cannot be renewed.
Lost or Damaged
The Idaho Falls Public Library charges fees for lost or damaged items. The amount charged is the original purchase price or the cost to replace the item, whichever is lower.
The library does not charge late fines, but does suspend borrowing until overdue materials are renewed or returned.
Patrons may view their fees by signing into their library accounts and clicking on the Fines tab. Fees may be paid in person at our payment kiosk in the computer room at the Idaho Falls Public Library.
First, some basic terminology:
- Request—Something you’ve “put on hold” but isn’t ready yet for checkout.
- Hold—A request that has been fulfilled, meaning the item is waiting for you on the hold shelf.
When you sign into your library account, requests will show a pending status and holds will have a pickup deadline.
The hold shelves are located on the second floor of the library near the north doors. Holds are arranged alphabetically with a yellow slip of paper showing the first 4 letters of your last name followed by your first initial and the last 4 digits of your phone number. You will have 7 days from the time a hold is fulfilled to check it out.
For questions about the status your holds, sign into your account or call 208-612-8460.
How To Request an Item
To “place a hold”, or request that something be set aside for you, find it in our online catalog, then click the Place Hold button. You may also call 208-612-8460 or visit any library service desk to ask for help from library staff.
How to Edit, Suspend or Cancel a Request
To cancel a request, sign into your library account and open the Holds tab. Select the requests you wish to cancel and click the Cancel Holds button.
To suspend a request, use the Suspend Holds button.
Once a hold has been fulfilled, it cannot be canceled or suspended without calling the library.
Automated library notification options include:
- Automated phone calls
- SMS text messages
- Email notifications
- Phone calls + email
- SMS text + email
Notifications are sent for:
- Reminders about items due soon
- Reminders about overdue items
- Hold notices
To enable notifications, use our online support form or visit any library service desk.
Patrons may renew most library items up to 3 times after the original checkout. Exceptions are Quick Read books, Book Club in a Bag sets, and Early Learning Bags. These kinds of items can only be checked out once.
To renew your library checkouts, use one of the following options:
- Call our automated renewal number at 208-612-8198.
- Log into your online account at idfalls.ent.sirsi.net.
- Visit any library service desk or talk to a library staff member over the phone at 208-612-8460.
Note—An expired library membership will prevent your from renewing your checkouts. Learn how to renew an expired membership.
To return your library checkouts, use one of our book returns:
- Inside book return on the first floor
- Inside book bin on the second floor
- Drive-through book return on the east side of the library*
- Outside book return by the north doors (facing Broadway St)*
*Available after hours
Who Can Access the Libby App and LinkedIn Learning?
By third-party license agreement, only certain library membership types can access OverDrive ebooks and audiobooks and the learning videos on LinkedIn Learning:
- Tax Supported and Fee Supported memberships
- Temporary memberships
- Military memberships
For information about our library memberships, including new memberships and expired, lost, or damaged cards, visit our library membership page. For additional information about circulation, call 208-612-8460 or send us a message online.