Interlibrary Loan helps patrons meet unique educational, research, and information needs by borrowing books from other libraries. Read our guidelines and policies.
Interlibrary Loans are governed by our Interlibrary Loan policy. Here is a summary† of our policy and process:
- Any Idaho Falls Public Library patron in good standing may borrow materials through the Interlibrary Loan service.
- The availability of any title through Interlibrary Loan is subject to the lending library’s terms.
- Library patrons are allowed to borrow up to 26 items/year.
- Patrons may request additional loans beyond this limit by paying a $10.00 fee per item at the time the request is made. This fee is nonrefundable, even if other libraries choose not to loan the material.
- When an interlibrary loan arrives, we will hold it at our second-floor desk for 7 days. We will send notice of the hold using the standard account notification settings on the borrower’s account.
- Holds expire after 7 days. Items that are not picked up before the hold expires are subject to a $10.00 account fee.
- The duration of all Interlibrary Loans is 2 weeks.
- If items are returned late, the Idaho Falls Public Library charges overdue fines at the regular rate of $0.10 per item/day.
- Costs for damaged books, as determined by the lending library or once the item is 20 days overdue, will be charged to patron patron accounts.
- Libraries are responsible for ensuring the privacy and confidentiality of patron information during Interlibrary Loan transactions.
- These guidelines may change as needed to ensure smooth operation and cost control.
- Notice: Interlibrary Loan is a privilege, not a right. Prolonged disregard for provisions in this policy or abuse of the process in general will result in loss of privileges.
†Any change to our official Interlibrary Loan policy supercedes the information published on this webpage.
Since Interlibrary Loan items may come from libraries across the country, receiving times will vary greatly. The library will notify you when your Interlibrary Loan arrives. We will use your default account notification settings. To adjust these notifications, call us at 208-612-8455.
To pick up your loan, visit our second floor desk. Interlibrary Loans check out for two weeks. Iona and Swan Valley patrons, you must also pick up and return your Interlibrary Loans in person at the Idaho Falls facility. Note that only the patron who requested the loan may check it out. We cannot check out Interlibrary Loans on library cards belonging to spouses, family members, or friends.
The Idaho Falls Public Library will hold loan items at the second floor desk for one week, at which time the item will be returned to the lending library. It is your responsibility, as the loan requestor, to pick up the loan on time. Interlibrary Loans that are not picked up will accrue and $10.00 fee per item. You must pay this fee before you again use our Interlibrary Loan service.
You may use Interlibrary Loan to request books, articles, reports, conference proceedings, patents, standards, DVDs, audiobooks, and microfilm. You can make loan requests through this website or in person at a library desk. Keep in mind that some items are more difficult to obtain and few libraries will lend them, but we will make a good faith effort to find the loan for you.
Items which we already hold in our local collections (but which are on loan to other patrons) cannot be requested through Interlibrary Loan. You may request these items in the usual manner using our library catalog. For assistance with traditional item requests, ask for help at any of our reference desks.