Extreme Book Nerd is back in 2019 and it’s bigger and better than ever!
Library patrons, sign up online or in-person at the library:
Don’t forget to download the reading log materials.
New This Year … 3 Levels
Complete up to three levels of reading and earn the prize for the highest level you reach:
|Level||Number of Books||Prize|
|Book Nerd||25 Books||Baseball t-shirt|
|Extreme Book Nerd||50 books||Hoodie|
|Ultimate Book Nerd||75 books||Overnight bag|
Record the books you complete in your reading log. See the rules of the challenge for more details.
- Rory Gilmore read
- Book about or set during World War II
- First book in a series
- Nonfiction and fiction about the same topic (fiction book)
- Nonfiction and fiction about the same topic, (nonfiction book)
- Book from the 2018 NPR Book Concierge list
- Bildungsroman book
- Book from the Great American Read list (learn more)
- Edgar Award nominee (learn more)
- Wild card (pick up at third-floor desk)
- Book set during a holiday
- Book with multiple narrators
- Banned book
- Book recommended by a librarian
- Book you love … read it again!
- Book from the nonfiction 500s
- Book with an author or title with Elizabeth, Eliza, Liza, or Liz
- Nonfiction book
- Book you own but haven’t read
- Book with a green cover
- Book from a library display
- Book with a body part it in the title
- Classic novel
- Debut novel
- Book with a weather element in the title
Extreme Book Nerd
- Book with a heist
- Nonfiction book that improves you
- Book written in the first person
- Prequel or sequel
- YA / adult crossover
- Book set in two time periods
- Book from a genre you don’t normally read
- Book with a baby
- Paranormal book
- Book set in India
- Book from your childhood
- Book with a punny title
- Book set in a favorite location
- Book written by someone who has died
- Book from a celebrity book club
- Author who last name starts with S
- Newbery Award winner
- Book set in outer space
- True crime book (search catalog)
- Book by two authors
- Book that was made into a movie
- Book of poetry
- Book by a famous non-author
- Book published this year
- Book under 200 pages
- Book with pictures
- Book with a pirate
- Book set during the summer
- Book by an author with three names
- Book recommended by an author (not the one who wrote it)
- Novel based on a real person
- Book about the military
- Book that was translated into English
- A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
- Mass market paperback
- Book with a number in the title
- Book with A, B, or C in the title
- Book that scares you
- Book with a long title (at least 5 words)
- Book by a Scandinavian author or set in Scandinavia
- Book with a spy
- Goodreads Choice Awards nominee
- Book set in medieval times
- Steampunk book
- Book you can finish in a day
- Book set in California
- Book by a favorite author of yours
- Book with a person’s name in the title
- Book by Agatha Christie (search catalog)
Idaho Falls Public Library patrons may sign up to earn the prize for the highest level they reach:
|Book Nerd||Baseball t-shirt|
|Extreme Book Nerd||Hoodie|
|Ultimate Book Nerd||Overnight bag|
To claim your prize, bring your completed reading log to the young adult or adult staff desks at the Idaho Falls Public Library. Note: The category summary list cannot be used to report completion; Use the reading log instead (see below).
Registration to receive prizes is limited to patrons of the Idaho Falls Public Library. Visit our library cards page if you are interested in signing up. Prizes are not cumulative; limit one prize per patron. You earn the prize for the level you reach. Prizes must be picked up in person by you or the person(s) you specific at completion. We do not ship prizes. See the following rules section for more information.
Reading Log Downloads
You may pick up reading log materials at the library or simply download and print them at home:
- Use the reading log to track progress and report completion.
- Use the category list for summary purposes only (cannot be used to report completion).
- If printing the journal tabs at home, use 2×4″ shipping labels (template 5163).
Extreme Book Nerd
Ultimate Book Nerd
Thank you to our participants for helping us correct errors. To avoid confusion during the challenge, these corrections are listed below. Depending on when you downloaded materials, you may need to download and print them again.
- January 3, 10am MST – The colored category list for Ultimate Book Nerd had a few errors. If you printed this list, please dispose of it and use the category list linked above.
- January 3, 10am MST – We corrected a few minor errors in the Extreme and Ultimate reading logs. If you downloaded these logs prior to this posted correction, please dispose of your copy and download/print them again.
Rules of the Challenge
- There are 3 levels this year: Book Nerd (25 categories), Extreme Book Nerd (50 categories), and Ultimate Book Nerd (75 categories).
- The challenge runs January 2 through December 21, 2019.
- All books you read for the challenge must be recorded in your reading log. Record the title and author by category.
- To earn the prize for each level, return to the Idaho Falls Public Library and present your completed reading log at a staff desk. The deadline for reporting completion is December 21, 2019 at 6:00pm.
- Acceptable reading log formats: a website, a spreadsheet, a journal, or a typed list.
- Reading logs on smartphones will not be accepted.
- Books you read for other programs and book clubs (e.g., summer or winter reading, book clubs, school assignments) can count toward this challenge as long as they fit into one of the categories and you finish reading them by December 21, 2019.
- Books at a junior fiction level are acceptable for the Book Nerd and Extreme Book Nerd levels. No other books from our Children’s Library will be accepted, including junior nonfiction, intermediate, easy readers, picture books, and board books.
- Books at the junior fiction level cannot be used for the Ultimate Book Nerd categories.
- Patron participants who finish the Extreme Book Nerd challenge by December 21, 2019 will receive the prize they have earned, whether the baseball t-shirt, the hoodie, or the overnight bag. Prizes are not cumulative; only one prize per patron.
We have a Facebook group for Extreme Book Nerd participants. Please read the rules of the group before submitting a join request.
For more information about the Extreme Book Nerd program, call 208-612-8460 or use our online contact form.