Welcome to the 2018 Challenge!
Extreme Book Nerd is a year-long reading challenge for Idaho Falls Public Library patrons. Read 50 books from 50 categories in one year or less and earn the coveted title of Extreme Book Nerd. To participate, you must have a current Idaho Falls Public Library card and be at least 13 years old (or in the 7th grade) at the time you sign up.
Registration for the 2018 challenge opens on January 3, 2018 and closes on July 31, 2018. The 2018 challenge itself ends on December 21, 2018. Adults read all 50 categories; teens select only 25 categories.
Skip to Content
- Reading Categories
- This Year’s Prize
- Participation Guidelines and Rules
- Facebook Group
- Download the Logo
These are the reading categories for the 2018 challenge. Each book you read for this challenge must match one of these categories. For some categories, the library has a list of recommended titles (see links below).
- A book suggested by another Extreme Book Nerd
- A book with a female protagonist
- A banned book
- A Hugo Award winner or nominee
- A beach read
- A book set in the South
- A western
- An all-time favorite book of yours
- A collection of short stories
- A book set somewhere you’ve never been
- A book you own but have never read
- A book with food in it
- A book with royalty in it
- A graphic novel
- A book with a birthday in it
- A love story
- A dystopian novel
- A book about books
- A sad book
- A book with a witch in it
- A book inspired by another literary work
- A book from the nonfiction 641s
- A book with X, Y, or Z in the title
- A book from a library display
- A book with an alternative lifestyle in it
- A book with a character you intensely dislike
- A nonfiction book
- A book with garden in the title
- A book with a body of water
- A book with a red cover
- A book with a mental illness
- A book by a Canadian author
- An autobiography
- A book with a season in the title
- A book with a floral cover
- A book published posthumously
- A book with a one-word title
- A book you choose based entirely on its cover
- An epistolary book
- A book you love … read it again!
- A wildcard book
- Two books with the same title: Book 1
- Two books with the same title: Book 2
- A paperback book
- A nonfiction history book
- A book with an animal in it
- A book with a city in the title
- A book with a lawyer in it
- Listen to an audiobook
- A book published this year
How to Participate
The Extreme Book Nerd Challenge begins Wednesday, January 3, 2018 and ends Friday, December 21, 2018. To participate:
- Sign up online or in person at the Idaho Falls Public Library between January 3 and July 31, 2018.
- Read 50 books in 50 weeks. Match the books you read to the reading categories above (download the reading list here).
- As you read, keep a reading log with the book titles and authors you chose for each category.
- You may keep your reading log in almost any form, as long as you can show it to library staff (e.g., spreadsheet, journal, typed list, website).
- Note: We cannot accept reading logs on smartphones.
- Complete and show your reading log to library staff on/before Friday, December 21, 2018.
- This challenge is open to Idaho Falls Public Library patrons only
- You cannot use the same book for multiple categories
- Adults must read 50 books to complete the challenge
- Teens must read 25 books to complete the challenge
- Adults can count audiobooks toward the challenge, but teens may not
- To count a book, you must finish it by December 21, 2018
- Only library staff at the third floor desk in Idaho Falls may certify completion
- You may count any book you read for other programs (e.g., summer or winter reading)
- Books at an Intermediate Reader level or lower don’t count for adults and teens
- You have to complete the challenge in order to win the prize
Official registration in Extreme Book Nerd is limited to patrons of the Idaho Falls Public Library, but those who are not patrons and are following along in their local areas are invited join the discussion in our Extreme Book Nerd Facebook group.
The prize for participants who finish this year’s challenge is a microfleece vest. It will have the Idaho Falls Public Library’s Extreme Book Nerd Logo printed on the front.
Extreme Book Nerd Logo
You may use the Extreme Book Nerd logo on your reading log. Choose a file to download: