Read 25 books in specific categories and win a prize!
Extreme Book Nerd for Kids is a year-long reading challenge for kids up to age 12. To participate in this challenge, kids must:
- Be independent readers in grades 2-6.
- Have their own library cards.
- Have an IFPL Beanstack account.
- Not be participating in Extreme Book Nerd for Teens.
How It Works
Here’s how Extreme Book Nerd for Kids works:
- Sign into Beanstack and register for the challenge.
- If you want to use a paper reading log during the year, pick one up from the children’s desk or download it below.
- Start reading books that match 25 of the 26 categories on the reading log (you get to skip one category). Remember, you can only count books:
- That are more than 100 pages.
- From the junior fiction, junior nonfiction, junior graphic novel, young adult, or adult collections.
- That you finish between January 4 and December 18, 2021.
- As you finish each book, record the title and author in your digital or paper reading log.
- When you’re all done, make sure all your books are recorded in Beanstack, then come to the library to show your reading log and tell us you earned the prize!
To complete this challenge, you must report all of your reading in the digital reading log on Beanstack.
During the year, however, if you want to track your reading on paper, you can pick up a paper reading log from the children’s desk or click the download link below to print one at home. When you’re all done reading, transfer the books on your paper log over to Beanstack. If you are unable access Beanstack via the internet or mobile app to log your reading online, please speak with a staff member at the children’s desk.
To complete the challenge and earn this year’s prize, read books from at least 25 of the categories below.
- Animal as main character
- Has a teacher in it
- Never read
- Same first initial as author
- One-word title
- Found on a library display
- Graphic novel
- Book that your friend likes
- Book you have at home
- Main character is different gender
- Set during a war
- Same author 1
- Same author 2
- Published in 2020
- Has a body of water in it
- Has a number in the title
- Listen to an audiobook (print version must be 100+ pages)
- Green cover
- IFPL librarian recommendation
- Has a face on the cover
- Pura Belpre Winner or Honor
- 398 Nonfiction (must be at least 75 pages)
- Biography or autobiography
- Wild card
For more information about this reading challenge, visit or call the children’s library at 208-612-8460.