Starting October 1, 2019
Read 1000 books to your child before s/he starts kindergarten.
1000 books might sound difficult, but if you read just one book a night to an infant or toddler, you will read about 365 books in a year. That is 730 books in two years and 1095 in three years. Considering that most children start kindergarten around 5 years of age, you likely have more time than you think!
The keys are perseverance and making your reading exciting and fun!
How to Participate
Sign up online through the library’s Beanstack website:
- Use the link below to visit the library’s Beanstack website.
- Click on the “Register an Individual or Family” button and register yourself and your child.
- After creating your child’s account, select the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten link.
- As you read with your child, keep track of the books in Beanstack.
- For every 100 books you read, come to the library to receive a little incentive.
- Pick up prizes at the library when you reach 500 and 1000 books.
Any children who have not yet entered kindergarten can participate. To complete the program, you must finish 1000 books before the first day of kindergarten. You can only count the books you read after signing up, but you can count any book read to your child at home, childcare, preschool, at a library storytime, or elsewhere. And if your child has a favorite book, it counts every time you read it!
For additional information, call the Idaho Falls Public Library at 208-612-8460.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a registered trademark of the 1000 Books Foundation. Used with permission.