Learn the core functions of Microsoft Excel in our certification prep course. After the course, demonstrate your knowledge by passing the Excel 2016 Microsoft Office Specliast core exam (77-727). This exam is free for our patron students.
Learn in one of two formats. The first is a 45- to 60-minute class taught by staff in our library computer room. This format is best for those who like the structure of a class or who are new to Microsoft Excel. Class meet twice/week on Mondays and Wednesday at 8pm.
- Jul 30 – Overview / Office Backstage
- Aug 1 – Working with Excel 2016
- Aug 6 – Basic Formulas
- Aug 8 – Formulas Practicum
- Aug 13 – Functions
- Aug 15 – Formatting Cells and Ranges
- Aug 20 – Formatting Worksheets
- Aug 22 – Managing Worksheets
- Aug 27 – Data and Macros I
- Aug 29 – Data and Macros II
- Sep 5 – Advanced Formulas
- Sep 10 – Formulas Practicum I
- Sep 12 – Formulas Practicum II
- Sep 17 – Securing Workbooks
- Sep 19 – Creating Charts
- Sep 24 – Charts Practicum
- Sep 26 – Pictures and Shapes
- Oct 1 – Review I
- Oct 3 – Review II
- Oct 15 – Managing and Protecting
- Oct 17 – Managing and Protecting
- Oct 22 – Applying Custom Formatting and Layouts I
- Oct 24 – Applying Custom Formatting and Layouts II
- Oct 29 – Using Advanced Functions and Analyzing Data I
- Oct 31 – Using Advanced Functions and Analyzing Data II
- Nov 5 – Working with Advanced Charts and Pivottables I
- Nov 7 – Working with Advanced Charts and Pivottables II
We will offer our Excel certification courses on the following, annual rotation:
|Summer||Excel 2016 Core||77-727||Evenings at 8pm|
|Fall||Excel 2016 Expert||77-728||Evenings at 8pm|
|Winter||Excel 2016 Core||77-727||Daytimes at 12pm|
|Spring||Excel 2016 Expert||77-728||Daytimes at 12pm|
Our second format is an online option that allows you to study from the convenience of home or work. This format is best for those who have limited time, who are already familiar with the basics of Microsoft Excel 2016 (or with an older version), and who are independent, self-motivated learners. Learn more about our independent-study resources.
- Idaho Falls Public Library card
- Email account
- Personal computer
- Internet access
- Microsoft Excel 2016
- Headphones or earbuds (if you study in our computer lab)
Getting started is simple. Follow the steps below:
- Do you have an Idaho Falls Public Library card? (No? Learn how to sign up)
- Enroll in our Community Education Program.
- Create free, online accounts with Microsoft and Certiport.
- Accept our invitation to enroll in our Microsoft Imagine Academy.
- Download the study guide (also sent by email invitation after enrolling).
- Complete your assigned courses.
- When you’re ready to test, call 208-612-8458 to schedule your exam.
Once you complete your studies, demonstrate your knowledge by taking the Microsoft Office Specialist Excel 2016 Core exam (77-727). Why certify?
- It’s free, for library patrons (save up to $120 on exam vouchers)
- Demonstrate your knowledge to an employer
- Improve your resume and work prospects
The Microsoft Office Specialist exams are timed tests administered in our Certiport Authorized Testing Center, located on the second floor by our computer room. The tests are taken on a computer and proctored by library staff. Patrons can take the test as many times as needed to pass. Learn more about the certification exams on Microsoft.com or by asking your instructor.
For more information about this or other Microsoft Office certification classes, please call 208-612-8329.