Learn the core functions of Microsoft Excel in this 7-week certification prep course available free to Idaho Falls Public Library patrons. At the end of the course, you will be ready to sit for the Microsoft Office Specialist Excel 2016 certification exam (77-727). The exam is free for our patron students.
June 4 Registration Update: We’ve had dozens of students sign up in the last 48 hours. We’re sending welcome messages as quickly as possible and are focusing first on those who sign up for our classroom study format (since classes started today). We will message our online/self-study students right after. If you haven’t received an email yet, check your spam folder for messages from “Russ Nash”. No welcome email there? Watch for a reply in the next day or so. We look forward to meeting each of you!
This course is available in two formats. The first is a 45-minute class taught in our library computer room. This format is best for those who like the structure of a class or who are completely new to Microsoft Excel.
In this format, you would attend class twice/week on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 12pm or 8pm during one of the following sessions.
- June 5 – Overview
- June 7 – Working with Excel 2016
- June 12 – Using Office Backstage
- June 14 – Using Basic Formulas
- June 19 – Using Functions
- June 21 – Formatting Cells and Ranges
- June 26 – Formatting Worksheets
- June 28 – Managing Worksheets
- July 3 – Data and Macros
- July 5 – Using Advanced Formulas
- July 10 – Securing Workbooks
- July 12 – Creating Charts
- July 17 – Pictures and Shapes
- July 24 – Overview
- July 26 – Working with Excel 2016
- July 31 – Using Office Backstage
- August 2 – Using Basic Formulas
- August 7 – Using Functions
- August 9 – Formatting Cells and Ranges
- August 14 – Formatting Worksheets
- August 16 – Managing Worksheets
- August 21 – Data and Macros
- August 23 – Using Advanced Formulas
- August 28 – Securing Workbooks
- August 30 – Creating Charts
- September 4 – Pictures and Shapes
Click here to download our class flyer (pages 3-4)
Online, Self-Paced Study
Our second format is a self-paced, online format that allows you to study from the convenience of home or work. This format is best for those who have limited time, who are already familiar with the basics of Microsoft Excel 2016 (or with an older version), and who are independent, self-motivated learners. Learn more about our self-study resources.
- Idaho Falls Public Library card
- Email account
- Personal computer
- Internet access
- Microsoft Excel 2016
- Headphones or earbuds (if you study in our computer lab)
- Attend weekly lab sessions on Tuesdays at 5pm to practice for the MOS exam and ask questions. We hold our labs in our library computer room.
Scroll down for information on signing up and getting started.
Once your complete your studies, you will be ready to take the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Excel 2016 certification exam (77-727). Why certify?
- It’s free, if taken through the library
- It helps you demonstrate your knowledge to an employer
- It could improve your resume and work prospects with prospective employers
You will learn more about the certification exam during class.
Getting started is simple. Follow the steps below:
- Do you have an Idaho Falls Public Library card? (No? Learn how to sign up)
- Enroll in our Community Education Program.
- Create free, online accounts with Microsoft and Certiport.
- Create free, online accounts with Lynda.com and the Learning Express Library.
- Accept our invitation to enroll in our Microsoft Imagine Academy.
- Complete your recommended online coursework.
- Attend weekly lab sessions to ask questions and practice for the exam.
- Let us know when you’re ready for the exam by scheduling a testing time.
For more information about Microsoft Word certification classes, please call 208-612-8329.