The Idaho Falls Public Library Community Education Program supports the educational needs of our community through digital literacy and workforce development training.
Calendar of Classes
|12 Sun||13 Mon||14 Tue||15 Wed||16 Thu||17 Fri||18 Sat|
Now: Aug 17 03:07 am
12:00 pm Microsoft Word Class – Managing Text Flow
Microsoft Word Class – Managing Text Flow
Aug 13 @ 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Join our Microsoft Word 2016 certification prep course. Prepare to take the Microsoft Office Specialist exam 77-725 and become certified as a Microsoft Office Specialist in Word 2016. Schedule Jul 30: Understanding Word Aug 1: … Continue reading Microsoft Word Class – Managing Text Flow
8:00 pm Microsoft Excel Class – Formulas Practicum
Microsoft Excel Class – Formulas Practicum
Aug 13 @ 8:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Join our Microsoft Excel 2016 certification prep course. Prepare to take the Microsoft Office Specialist exam 77-727 and become certified as a Microsoft Office Specialist in Excel 2016. Schedule Jul 30: Overview/Office Backstage Aug 1: … Continue reading Microsoft Excel Class – Formulas Practicum
8:00 pm Microsoft Excel Class – Functions
Microsoft Excel Class – Functions
Aug 13 @ 8:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Join our Microsoft Excel 2016 certification prep course. Prepare to take the Microsoft Office Specialist exam 77-727 and become certified as a Microsoft Office Specialist in Excel 2016. Schedule Jul 30: Overview/Office Backstage Aug 1: … Continue reading Microsoft Excel Class – Functions
| || |
12:00 pm Microsoft Word Class – Creating Tables
Microsoft Word Class – Creating Tables
Aug 15 @ 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Join our Microsoft Word 2016 certification prep course. Prepare to take the Microsoft Office Specialist exam 77-725 and become certified as a Microsoft Office Specialist in Word 2016. Schedule Jul 30: Understanding Word Aug 1: … Continue reading Microsoft Word Class – Creating Tables
3:00 pm Computer Class – Internet Basics
Computer Class – Internet Basics
Aug 15 @ 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Do you wish you knew how to use a computer better? Join our free, basic computer classes at the Idaho Falls Public Library. Attend any sessions that interest you. Can’t make it on the scheduled … Continue reading Computer Class – Internet Basics
8:00 pm Microsoft Excel Class – Formatting Cell and Ranges
Microsoft Excel Class – Formatting Cell and Ranges
Aug 15 @ 8:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Join our Microsoft Excel 2016 certification prep course. Prepare to take the Microsoft Office Specialist exam 77-727 and become certified as a Microsoft Office Specialist in Excel 2016. Schedule Jul 30: Overview/Office Backstage Aug 1: … Continue reading Microsoft Excel Class – Formatting Cell and Ranges
| || |
3:00 pm Computer Class – Outlook Email
Computer Class – Outlook Email
Aug 17 @ 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Do you wish you knew how to use a computer better? Join our free, basic computer classes at the Idaho Falls Public Library. Attend any sessions that interest you. Can’t make it on the scheduled … Continue reading Computer Class – Outlook Email
Microsoft Office Certification
Enhance your resume and add to your professional development efforts by enrolling in our Microsoft certification classes. Earn Microsoft Office 2016 Specialist certifications in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook. These certifications demonstrate your knowledge of both the core and advanced features of Microsoft Office products.
We teach certification classes at the library on a rotating schedule. If you work hard, you can earn a Microsoft Office Specialist certification every 2-3 months and the Microsoft Office 2016 Master designation in a year’s time.
For the self-directed, online learner, we also offer independent study options. Certification classes and exam vouchers are free to library patrons through a program funded by the Idaho State Department of Education.
Class Rotations and Times
We teach Microsoft Office Specialist certification classes on a rotating schedule. For starting dates, search our current class postings:
|8-9pm||Word 2016 Expert||77-726|
*These are classroom session dates. Independent study is available at all times.
Are you an self-directed, independent learner? Are you already familiar with a software platform but want to improve your skills? Consider our independent study options. Our online resources are available to you at home or work where you may learn and practice on your own time and at your own pace.
We invite all students pursuing certification in Microsoft Office 2016 to join our Microsoft Imagine Academy. After you enroll in our program, watch for an email inviting you to join the academy. Sign in using the link in the invitation and the personal email on your Microsoft account.
The following webpages provide supporting materials for our independent study students. Each page is password protected. Your instructor will provide the login credentials when you enroll in class.
Anyone interested in modern business skills can benefit from the vast training resources available on Lynda.com. Lynda is a premium, online video library with thousands of complete courses covering the following topics:
- 3D and Animation
- Audio and Music
- Business (including Microsoft certification courses)
- Education and Elearning
To access these courses, visit our patron login portal and create a profile using your library card number (all digits, no spaces) and password of choice.
If you have questions about Lynda or need help with the login process, please call 208-612-8329.
The Learning Express Library is available to all Idaho residents courtesy of the Idaho Commission for Libraries. This library contains several multimedia learning resources, including test preparation tools. To access the Learning Express Library:
- Log in with your zip code and city
- Register or sign into your account
- Open your learning center of choice:
- Career Prep
- High School Equivalency
- College Admissions
- K12 Students
- College Students
- Adult Students
- Popular Software Tutorials
*Lynda.com and the Microsoft Imagine Academy are restricted to library patrons only. To sign up for a card, visit our library cards webpage.
Basic Computer Class
Our staff offer recurring classes on basic computer skills. We use the Digital Learn curriculum developed by the Gail Borden Public Library in conjunction with the Reaching Across Illinois Library System and the Public Library Association.
Our classes cover the following topics:
- Mouse and Keyboard – Learn how to left- and right-click and use basic keyboard commands.
- Computer Basics – Learn how to start and shut down a computer, create/save/open files, create folders, and rename files and folders.
- Internet Basics – Learn basic internet terminology, how to navigate a browser, find a website, identify common domains, and stay safe while surfing the web.
- Outlook Email – Learn how to create a free Microsoft Outlook email account and send, receive, and organize email messages.
- File Management – Learn how to find electronic files easily by creating and organizing folders.
- Computer Maintenance – Learn common maintenance tasks to improve your computer’s performance, stability, and speed.
- Cybersecurity – Learn about common computer viruses, email safety, internet safety, firewalls, and other security practices.
- Windows 10 Basic – Learn how to navigate Windows 10, use the task manager, manage your files, and more.
- Windows 10 Intermediate – Learn more about Windows 10, including desktop icons, exploring settings, Windows Defender, installing and uninstalling programs, and using the Windows Store.
To sign up for our basic classes, call 208-612-8329 or visit the Idaho Falls Public Library computer room. To see our current class schedule, visit our class announcement page.
Notice: The Digital Learn curriculum is licensed CC BY-SA 3.0 by the Gail Borden Public Library and partners. The Idaho Falls Public Library has made minor adaptations to class presentations to meet local needs and circumstances.
Idaho Falls Public Library patrons* have access to thousands of ebooks and digital audiobooks through OverDrive. As an online service, OverDrive requires access to the internet and is delivered through ereaders and mobile apps.
In this workshop series, you will learn how to access OverDrive and use apps and ereaders to locate ebooks and audiobooks.
We offer 4 workshops monthly, each in our library computer room from 2-3pm on Tuesdays:
- First Tuesday: Introduction to OverDrive – Create an account on OverDrive, learn to adjust your reading preferences and search and browse for titles. Learn how to read or listen through your internet browser or Windows app.
- Second Tuesday: OverDrive App – Learn how to install, setup, and use the OverDrive app to access ebooks and audiobooks. Bring your reading device.
- Third Tuesday: Libby App – Learn how to install, setup, and use OverDrive new Libby app to access ebooks and audiobooks. Learn the advantages of the Libby app, including how to connect multiple cards and libraries. Bring your reading device.
- Fourth Tuesday: OverDrive on Ereaders – Learn how to access OverDrive titles on a Kindle Fire, Kindle ereader, and Nook.
Participation in these workshops requires preregistration. Use the following link to reserve a seat in class.
* OverDrive access is restricted to residents of Idaho Falls and Bonneville County. Patrons with non-resident cards are not able to access OverDrive titles.
For more information about our program, call 208-612-8329.